According to the Hellenic Law 4009/2011, each institution is responsible for ensuring and continuously improving the quality of its educational, research and administrative work in accordance with international practices and especially the principles governing the European Higher Education Area (www.ehea.info) and the directions of the Hellenic Authority for Higher Education (HAHE, www.hqa.gr).
At the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki this process is performed by the Quality Assurance Unit (MODIP – AUTH, qa.auth.gr), which aims to improve the quality of educational and research work , the operation, procedures and services of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, the improvement of the quality of life and quality of work within the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, as well as the promotion of the work carried out at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in society, political leadership and the international academic community.
In order to facilitate these procedures, an Internal Evaluation Group (OM.E.A.) is defined by each Scholl, which is responsible for the following tasks:
- It is responsible for the conduction, in cooperation with its MO.DI.P., of the internal evaluation procedure inside the academic unit
- Monitoring the completion of the inventory forms and questionnaires and informing the bodies and members of the academic unit for the results
- Gathering all necessary data for the evaluation, and based on them
- Writing the Internal Evaluation Report (self-evaluation) of the academic unit, which is forwarded to the MO.DI.P. and through MO.DI.P. to the Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency (HQA)
- Collaborating with the HQA for organizing and carrying out the external evaluation
The OM.E.A. of the School of Chemistry consist of:
- Maria Tsimidou, Professor (moderator)
- Dimitra Voutsa, Professor
- Konstantina Fylaktakidou, Professor
- Dimitrios Tsiplakides, Associate Professor
- Fani Mantzouridou, Associate Professor
Quality Policy of the School of Chemistry
The School of Chemistry of the Faculty of Sciences of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki has as its mission the education in the Science of Chemistry and its modern applications so that its graduates are equipped with basic and specialized knowledge, laboratory experience and other high quality skills.
The Faculty members, Laboratory Teaching Staff Members, Specialized Technical Laboratory Staff and administrative staff are committed to implementing the Quality Policy of the School and make a continuous effort to achieve its objectives.
Strategic goals – quality goals
The strategic goals of the School of Chemistry are in line with the broader goals and commitments of the School of Sciences and the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki and are harmonized with the legal and regulatory framework governing the operation of the country’s universities.
These goals include:
- Continuous improvement of the level of education provided to students, by monitoring the regular operation of the Undergraduate Programme of Studies (UPS) and the expected learning outcomes but also its continuous evaluation and upgrading.
- Development of high level research based on international developments, by promoting research collaborations and utilization and dissemination of results for the benefit of society.
- Promoting excellence and innovation by encouraging, enhancing and rewarding the achievements of the members of the School in teaching and research.
- Enhancing extroversion with networking actions, collaborations and upgrading the international presence of the School.
- Strengthening the connection of the School with the job market, scientific and social bodies and its graduates.
- Contribution to the lifelong learning of graduates.
To fulfill its mission, the School of Chemistry makes every effort to staff it with a high level of scientific staff and the continuous improvement of its infrastructure.
The latest external evaluation of the School of Chemistry was conducted between 21 and 22 February 2011 by a Committee of five External Experts.